Starting a Small Business
Welcome, and congratulations on taking the first step towards owning and operating your own small business. The fact that you are consulting this site is a sign that your business will have a chance to succeed. When it comes to small business development, the most important thing you can do is plan well.
The Walker County community embraces entrepreneurship and we want your business to be successful, but we also want you to understand that operating a small business is hard work. It takes dedication, patience, specific skills and adequate funding.
This guide has been compiled the help you in your process of opening a small business. It takes you from a process to determine if entrepreneurship is for you to a discussion on hiring and firing employees and everything in between. Feel free to contact any of the resources that have been listed in this book. It is important to know that these agencies are here to help you and you should not be afraid to ask for assistance.
You may also contact the Walker County Chamber of Commerce at (706) 375-7702 for further assistance or for a referral to an appropriate resource.
• What is an Entrepreneur?
• Is Entrepreneurship Right for You?
• Self-biz Quiz
• One Year Plan for Entrepreneurs
• Your Business Plan
• Feasibility & Marketing Strategy
• Marketing Your Business
• Demograhpic Information
• Determining Cash Needed to Start a Business
• Financing Information
• Small Business Development Center
• Legal Aspects of Starting a Business
• State Licensing
• Federal Licensing
• Business License
• Building Construction, Renovations, & Occupancy
• Health Permits
• Trade Name Registration
• Trademark & Service Mark
• Federal Taxes
• State Taxes
• Labor & Safety Regulation Info
• Application, Hiring, & Termination Process
• Employer Tax Responsibilities